You use many chemical products to care for your family, friends, garden, car, house, yard, and vehicle. Many of these products contain dangerous chemicals. These products become hazardous waste when you decide to get rid of them. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, (EPA), defines four types of hazardous waste.
- Corrosive wastes may cause chemical reactions that destroy living tissue or materials. One example is battery acid.
- Toxic substances can lead to illness and even death. Some of these wastes can be more hazardous than others. Poisoning symptoms can be caused by exposure to small amounts of highly toxic chemicals. Examples of toxic chemicals include pesticides, cleaning agents, paints and photographic supplies.
- Ignitable waste may catch fire or easily burn. You can use nail polish remover, gasoline, kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid as examples.
- Reactive waste can react quickly with water or other substances, causing rapid heating or explosions. Examples of acidic substances are those that heat quickly and spatter when mixed with liquids.
According to the EPA, an average household will dispose of 1 pound of hazardous waste per year.
When Is a Product Harmful?
If used as directed, most household products are safe. They can be dangerous if they are not used correctly, stored incorrectly, or if the unused portion is not disposed of properly.
To dispose of hazardous waste, follow these steps:
- Determine what is considered hazardous waste according to your local regulations.
- Store hazardous waste in a secure, labeled container.
- Contact your local hazardous waste disposal facility or check their website for disposal instructions.
- Transport the hazardous waste to the disposal facility following all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Properly dispose of the hazardous waste at the facility following their instructions.
- Keep documentation of the disposal for record-keeping purposes.
- Consider recycling or reusing materials instead of disposing of them as hazardous waste whenever possible.
This article was written by a hauling service professional. At Par Hauling Solutions located in the heart of Largo, we are a full-service hauling and dump trailer rental company that can haul just about anything in the Bay Area. Our professionals have over 10 years of experience and can provide dumpster rental in Largo FL for large-scale construction and renovation projects as well as smaller dumpsters for residents.